Far-sighted since the 16th century
From creating fine glass mirrors for the old Royal courts of Europe to manufacturing sturdy yet fine glassware for the modern-day hospitality trade, Spiegelau has a history of high-performance. For five centuries we have laboured to combine hand craftsmanship with the latest glass-making techniques.
Since 2004 Spiegelau belongs to Riedel Glass Works with its brands Spiegelau, Nachtmann and Riedel.
In 1926, owner Fritz Pretzfelder gave the company its current name – Kristallglasfabrik Spiegelau GmbH, or The Spiegelau Crystal Glass Factory.
In 1911 the factory was rebuilt and modernized.
In the sixteenth century, when mirrors were popular in royal courts, the company produced fine glass mirrors, beads and decorative bottles. In 1845 the factory produced snuff bottles, which were all the rage.
The first recorded mention of the Spiegelau factory is in the last will and testament of Erasmus Mospurger, dated 1521. Throughout history, glass has played a major role in shaping lives, propelling economies and advancing civilization.